My parents told our family friend, Alice, that I have been cooking for them since I’ve been home this summer and she half-jokingly said:
“Will she come over and cook for us too?”
Hell yeah I will! I was inspired by this post from The Yummy Life. A Mexican buffet is super easy to throw together and an infallible crowd-pleaser–the only hard part was making the tortilla bowls. I made them 3 at a time in her regular dinner bowls. The bowls were a little too small for the tortillas and as a result, the sides of the tortillas caved in and gave the bowls a really small capacity. Oh well, it was one of my first attempts, I will get better.
My buffet consisted of:
- whole-wheat and white flour tortilla bowls
- fiesta-style chicken
- white medium-grain rice with a pinch of salt and lime juice
- buzzed cauliflower (as rice alternative)
- canned black beans (rinsed)
- canned yellow corn
- mixed shredded cheese
- homemade mango-tomato salsa
- and a spinach + peach + strawberry + balsamic vinegar salad as a side dish
and it was divine. Even if the bowls were too small to hold it all.
I didn’t take pictures because I was late and had to rush to make everything aaaaaand I didn’t want to look like a total weirdo snapping pics whilst cooking.